Arkansas ex-Wynwood Florida Zika Testing

niman

LITTLE ROCK, Ark (KTHV) -- As the Zika virus population grows, Arkansas has reported nine cases from individuals who have traveled to "Zika zones."  These zones are reported to have higher populations of mosquitos infected with Zika.  The Wynwood area of Miami, Florida, where THV11's Winnie Wright recently traveled, is listed as a "Zika zone."

She, like many other Arkansans, had concerns about contracting the virus.  She decided to document her process of getting tested. 

http://www.thv11.com/news/local/thv11-reporter-takes-zika-test-amid-growing-concerns/296367558

THV11 reporter gets tested for Zika amid growing concerns

THV11'S WINNIE WRIGHT GETS TESTED FOR ZIKA AFTER TRAVELING TO A "ZIKA ZONE."

Questions remain in Zika virus testing

SHARE THIS STORY

LITTLE ROCK, Ark (KTHV) -- As the Zika virus population grows, Arkansas has reported nine cases from individuals who have traveled to "Zika zones."  These zones are reported to have higher populations of mosquitos infected with Zika.  The Wynwood area of Miami, Florida, where THV11's Winnie Wright recently traveled, is listed as a "Zika zone."

She, like many other Arkansans, had concerns about contracting the virus.  She decided to document her process of getting tested. 

June 24-27

I went on vacation to Miami, like I've done every summer for the last six years.

I spent an afternoon eating Cuban food on Calle 8 and a day in arts-district of Wynwood drinking five-dollar coffee.

When I returned, I learned that I had vacationed in a "Zika zone," one of the more heavily effected ones in the U.S.

August 2

I had just wrapped up the 5 o'clock newscast, when I saw CBS evening news.  That night, they reported, the first cases of locally-transmitted Zika virus in Miami.

In that story, experts suggested, anyone who'd been to the Wynwood neighborhood of Miami since mid-June be tested for the virus.

I told my co-workers about the sunny afternoon I'd had in the Wynwood, and they suggested I get tested for the virus.

That night, I decided I should probably take them seriously, but realized after all the stories I've done about the Zika virus, I still had no idea where to start.

zika3_1471049132137_5152679_ver1.0_320_2

I thought I'd read to call your primary doctor, so I started with him, but he was out sick, so I called the Arkansas Department of Health.

I started by dialing the number that was listed on Google for the ADH.

August 3

The ADH transferred me to the Environmental Health Office, likely through Pulaski County. That office then transferred me to an office they just called "Testing."  The worker claimed that there was a number listed, but wasn't exactly sure who would be on the other line. It was the number she was told to give out.

Then, the testing department transferred me to immunizations, and I think I was circled back to the ADH

No one was available on that line, so they took my name and number, and they offered to give me a call back as soon as possible. So, I still was unsure who exactly was going to be calling me or what wass next.

By this point, I talked to five individuals and still felt lost.

August 4

After 24 hours, I still hadn’t gotten a response, so I called the ADH back and was able to schedule an appointment for that day.

Then, I called the Arkansas Department of Health Public Information Officer to rope her in on the plans. I invited her to come along for my testing.  I felt nervous, even though I know the chance was low. 

zika2_1471049130945_5152677_ver1.0_320_2

The testing was done at the Pulaski County Central Health Unit, which is the ADH facility closest to me. After filling paperwork for the CDC, I was tested.

“Now we’ve got to ask a few hundred questions on that form over there," said Nurse Rhonda Harris, the clinical director for Pulaski Central Health Unit.

“As far as you know, you didn’t have any symptoms?  I’m still going to go through them: any rash, fever, muscle weakness, muscle pain, joint pain?”

I sheepishly said, “Headache and nausea.”

The appointment lasted about 45 minutes, with the longest part being the questionnaire.

They took three vials of blood and said that it will take two-five business days to get those results back.  While I waited, I did my best to be covered in DEET any time I was outside.

August 9

It had been four days sincemy test.  The ADH said they were going to be calling me back sometime today with those results. 

Around 3 that afternoon, I got a call from the ADH.

zika4_1471049131014_5152678_ver1.0_320_2

“Winnie, this is Carla Grayson, a nurse at the Arkansas Department of Health in Little Rock. I have some good news for you. We tested your blood for  the Zika virus.

"We did an IGM, and your test was negative. That means you don’t have to worry about having Zika.”

“So I don’t need to do anything, no precautions, nothing?" I asked.

“No ma’am, you don’t have the virus anti-bodies. You do not have to do anything. You’ve been back long enough, there’s nothing you need to do, but be thrilled you don’t have that disease.”

I sighed, but I knew that many face the alternative outcome. 

August 12

The ADH said they have been inundated with calls from worried Arkansans wanting a Zika test.  They had received 178 calls since August 8. 

“We are struggling a little bit with the man-power issue. If the trends we’ve seen in the last two or three weeks continue, we are going to have to redeploy people from other areas where they are providing core functions and move them in to the Zika area and that could be problematic”, explains Chief Medical Officer for the ADH, Dr. Gary Wheeler.

My Zika testing was free, but with Zika funding tied up in Congress, many have worried that remain that way.

“I think for right now, we are able to handle testing with existing resources we have. I don’t see that as an imminent concern at this time in Arkansas," the Dr. said, adding though he is concerned the public has not heeded the CDC’s warnings.

Thousands of people still travel to "Zika zones," like the Caribbean, every day.

He says unless people stop traveling to those areas or more money and resources are dedicated to combating Zika, we may find the virus here in Arkansas.

“This is not some blip that’s occurring. It is a real problem. It’s going to be persistent. We are going to be dealing with it for the next two or three years," said Dr. Wheeler finally.

--------

The CDC’s guidelines for travel, family planning, and testing are changing every day.

For the latest information on the Zika virus, visit CDC.gov.

If you are in Arkansas and have concerns or think you may need to be tested for the Zika virus, call the Arkansas Department of Health.  Their number is (501) 537-8969

The best number to reach them is 501-537-8969.