64 nCoV Confirmed On Diamond Princess Cruise Ship

niman

Cruise ship confirms three new infections

© Kyodo News

The Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare announced on March 8 that three new coronavirus infections have been confirmed in passengers on the Diamond Princess cruise ship.

Three new people were found to be infected with the new coronavirus on a cruise ship anchored in Yokohama Port. The number of confirmed infections on the cruise ship is now 64.On the

cruise ship `` Diamond Princess '', out of about 3,700 passenger occupants, 61 people were known to be infected by 7th . According to the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare, six new tests were found, of which three were confirmed to be infected. The three have already been transported to a medical facility and are hospitalized. Now 64 cruise ships have been infected. The cruise ship left Yokohama Port, anchored at around 9:30 am on August 8, and is now sailing offshore. According to Yokohama City, there is a shortage of domestic water on board and it is necessary to draw seawater to make fresh water for it, but since the equipment for changing to fresh water does not work unless the ship is moving, It means that he came offshore.

https://news.tv-asahi.co.jp/news_society/articles/000175740.html

3 more on cruise ship in Yokohama test positive for coronavirus

KYODO NEWS KYODO NEWS - 1 hour ago - 10:03 | All, World, Japan

thumbnail.png
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Three more people on a cruise ship quarantined in Yokohama have tested positive for a new coronavirus, the health ministry said Saturday, bringing the total number of people from the vessel infected to 64.

photo_l.jpg

https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2020/02/c4d42b7532cb-3-more-on-cruise-ship-in-yokohama-test-positive-for-coronavirus.html

Three new viruses confirmed on new virus cruise ship

New type pneumonia

On a cruise ship where outbreaks of the new coronavirus were confirmed, three new cases were confirmed. Since the cruise ship anchored off the port of Yokohama, 64 passengers and crew members have been infected.

The Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare has conducted a quarantine of about 3,700 passengers and all crew members on the cruise ship "Diamond Princess" this month, including those with symptoms such as fever and cough. We have collected samples from a total of 279 people who have been in close contact with each other and have performed virus tests.

On the 8th, the results of six new cases were revealed, and three infections were revealed. The three newly infected patients have already been transported to a medical institution and hospitalized.

The cruise ship left Yokohama last month, after which an 80-year-old man living in Hong Kong had been found infected with the new coronavirus after leaving the ship in Hong Kong.

A total of 64 cruise ships have been infected, excluding Hong Kong men.

Also, according to the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare, one person who has some pre-existing illness among those who have been infected by the 6th has severe symptoms.

The Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare has requested that the remaining 3,600 passengers and crew members remain on board, and in principle, wait 14 days from the 5th of this month in their cabin.

The number of people infected with the new coronavirus in Japan was 89, including 64 on cruise ships.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20200208/k10012277911000.html

Edited by niman

New Coronavirus Infections Confirmed on a Cruise Ship Called at Yokohama Port (Report 4)

The cruise ship “Diamond Princess”, which arrived at Yokohama Port on February 3, is undergoing quarantine at sea, but three out of six new test results for the new coronavirus have been identified. Coronavirus positivity was confirmed. She has already been transported to a medical institution and is hospitalized.
 A total of 64 out of 279 people tested positive.

On February 1 he tested positive for coronavirus, prompting Japanese authorities to deny entry to the ship and screen more than 3,700 people for the virus when the vessel returned to Yokohama on February 3. 

Of the 3,711 people screened on the ship, 273 were selected for further tests. They had disembarked in Hong Kong or been in contact with the 80-year-old.

It is not yet known for certain whether the 80-year-old was the cruise ship's 'patient zero' who transmitted the virus to other passengers. 

The deadly virus could have been brought on board by another person as American passengers Clyde and Renee Smith said they had been on a bus trip with the man in Kagoshima but both tested negative for the virus. 

Guests who had been in contact with him were among the 273 selected for testing, of whom 61 since tested positive. 

Japanese media said the man had been in contact with 36 passengers, including at least two of the first ten who tested positive. 

A map showing the journey of the Diamond Princess since January 20. At (1) in Yokohama an 80-year-old passenger boarded the ship. Two days later at (2) in Kagoshima he joined in a bus ride excursion with fellow passengers. He left in Hong Kong (3) before the ship continued to Vietnam (4 and 5) before stopping in Taiwan (6) on January 31. It is unclear how many passengers left the ship there. The cruise liner then sailed to Okinawa (7) before returning to Yokohama (1) where it was quarantined

+10
  •  

A map showing the journey of the Diamond Princess since January 20. At (1) in Yokohama an 80-year-old passenger boarded the ship. Two days later at (2) in Kagoshima he joined in a bus ride excursion with fellow passengers. He left in Hong Kong (3) before the ship continued to Vietnam (4 and 5) before stopping in Taiwan (6) on January 31. It is unclear how many passengers left the ship there. The cruise liner then sailed to Okinawa (7) before returning to Yokohama (1) where it was quarantined

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7978695/Journey-cruise-ship-passenger-infected-coronavirus.html

About 100 passengers on cruise ship are unwell

© Kyodo News

According to the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare, about 100 passengers and passengers on the Diamond Princess cruise ship have complained of poor health, such as fever, and are now being tested. It is different from the inspection schedule of dozens of people.

https://this.kiji.is/598885217926284385

Summary of Minister Kato's Interview

(Friday, February 7, 1980, 9: 47-10: 03 Inter-Ministry Conference Room)

[Public Relations Office]

Conference Details

Cabinet meetings

Minister:
I would like to report on the return of Japanese people on charter flights related to the new coronavirus and the transportation of patients with the new coronavirus infection from cruise ships. First of all, a fourth charter flight from Wuhan City will arrive today after 10:30, with a total of 198 Japanese and Chinese returning. Upon arrival, we will check for the presence of a patient. Although it is a cruise ship, since February 3, we have conducted on-board quarantine and have collected samples of those with symptoms such as fever and those who are in close contact with that person, and have continued inspection . In the end, the test results were revealed for the remaining 171 people, and positive results were confirmed for 41 people. Today, we are in the process of carrying it to medical institutions in multiple prefectures. If a positive test was confirmed for a total of three days, 61 of the 273 test samples were positive. The remaining crew and passengers remain on board and are waiting in the cabin.However, we are working to prevent infection while prioritizing checking the health of the crew and passengers. We will take all possible measures such as In reporting this matter to the WHO Executive Board to accurately report the outbreak situation in Japan, the Japanese side reported that this was the number of incidents before landing. As a result of raising the issue, according to WHO's judgment, this is a time away from the situation report 17th edition on February 6, but the column for Japan is 21 and it is a completely different item, Japan In the "other" area, which is supposed to be "other" in another area, there are still 20 at that time, so it is said that 20 forms are being described. Therefore, the fact that Japan does not add up that point is treated by WHO. That's it for me.

Question

Reporter:
Regarding the situation of cruise ships, I think that the acceptance system at hospitals in Japan is quite strict because it is 41 people, but at present it is full capacity or is there enough room? Can we secure a system to accept patients after this? Also, is there any change in the response date for those who are now on the boat to get off and leave? First of all, please.
Minister:
First of all, there is no change in the way of thinking about the due date. Therefore, we have been taking thorough measures to prevent infection from February 5, and we consider that the period of counting and health monitoring from there is 14 days. Then, as for transportation, this time we have 41 people, but we will have hospitals in Kanagawa, Tokyo, Saitama, Chiba, Shizuoka, one prefecture and four prefectures. At present, there are more than 1800 beds of such infectious diseases nationwide. Therefore, it can be said that there is no situation where acceptance is impossible at this stage.
Reporter:
In this way, the number is increasing even before landing, raising public unrest. I think it is urgent to develop a simple test kit that the Prime Minister has been talking about to eliminate anxiety, but in the private sector the cost and the time Some say that the hurdles are high, but are there any plans for the government to reduce costs and shorten the period, and to provide assistance in these areas?
Minister:
First of all, due to concerns of the uneasiness of the people, I mentioned the handling of WHO earlier, but WHO considers the outbreak on the cruise ship this time to be different from the outbreak in Japan. It is. However, in any case, the virus continues to be transmitted worldwide, so we will establish a system to deal with it. We are now preparing for not only the Institute of Health but also the private sector. In addition, there are various issues, such as the development of simple test kits and vaccines. To promote these, we will establish a research system by consulting with the Institute of Infectious Diseases and other private companies about where such measures can be taken. We are proceeding with coordination with related parties. The government is now considering to find the financial resources necessary to support it while utilizing the existing budget.
Reporter:
Regarding the authorization system, are you considering reducing the system period?
Minister:
I don't know how it will come out, but I would like to think about doing the necessary tests as quickly as possible, and in the past amendments to the Pharmaceutical Machinery Law, We are constantly making such a form that we can respond on a case-by-case basis, so it is such a flow, so naturally we have thought about responding as quickly as possible if such a situation comes out I think so.
Reporter:
The rest of the crew passengers, but what if they stay on board and would like to be inspected?
Minister:
As for the future examination, it is easy to become serious, naturally taking into account the opinions of experts. I mentioned this at the beginning, but those who have an elderly person, those who have an underlying disease, and those who have a positive reaction this time We would like to quickly investigate the necessary inspections for highly contacted persons and carry out the necessary inspections.
Reporter:
Does that mean that those who wished before getting off can receive it?
Minister:
Rather than hope, this decision will be done by such a person, this time as well, but among them, in some cases you may ask if you want it, but basic In general, I would like to carry out the necessary tests while selecting such subjects.
Reporter:
As to the opening remark, the method of counting the number of infected people, how to count, but this was based on doubting that the number of infected people is growing in Japan and that Japan may be dangerous internationally Is it a number?
Minister:
That is completely different. Again, in the sense of fully grasping the actual situation, 21 in Japan, in a limited cruise ship environment before landing, it is necessary to have a firm grasp of the actual situation that it is occurring, we That is to say.
Reporter:
This is for one point in relation to the current WHO, but if there is information. I think that the number of people in each country is piled up in the same way, but I do not know how many people in the world have become positive before landing on cruise ships, but basically the same treatment If there is any information that the world is being done, please tell me.
Minister:
At this stage, the situation report I just mentioned is "other" for 20 cases in Japan.
Reporter:
In other words, being positive before landing means that the same situation has not occurred elsewhere, so it has not been accumulated as the number of people in each country.
Minister:
I can't say with certainty so far, but at least in the report beyond that, after organizing that, there are 20 cases in "other", which is 20 cases of cruise ships in Japan I think.
Reporter:
How does the minister evaluate the status of the spread of infection in the country, as it relates to the present?
Minister:
Looking at the status of domestic infections, there are 21 cases, 4 asymptomatic pathogen carriers, but all asymptomatic people are so, and 17 out of 21 cases have a history of staying in Wuhan That is. In that sense, considering that it is domestic, in terms of the current 21 cases, I think that the current situation is 4 cases, but as it has also appeared in various reports, even in the absence of symptoms, in short Some people carry the virus and others have the virus. This is confirmed in the book today. And it is pointed out from that person that they will be infected. Although there is no evidence. Therefore, I believe that we must take measures to prevent infectious diseases while recognizing that the virus has such characteristics.
Reporter:
I think WHO is probably talking about the situation in Japan, but do you have any plans to disseminate information to overseas countries?
Minister:
Therefore, I think it is necessary to convey the analysis of the domestic situation firmly.
Reporter:
Although it is related to cruise ships, it is about 3700 crews and passengers infection of 61 people, and it is a number that greatly exceeds the number of outbreaks in the country, but how to evaluate this number first, cruise What do you think of it as a ship-specific situation, and the person who got off in Hong Kong was infected, but how is it evaluated as a source of infection with one person? How would you rate your connection with 61 people in Hong Kong at this time?
Minister:
After all, I think that this has been increased as a result of repeated contact over a long period of time in a closed space called a cruise ship. However, the person who got off in Hong Kong has started various inspections, but we investigated the close contacts with that person. At the stage of surveying the first 20 people, some of the close contacts with that person were positive. However, we have not yet reached the point of saying at this stage about how it spread from there, but we did a firm analysis based on the results of this PCR test etc. I think so.
Reporter:
Are there any 41 Japanese who have been confirmed positive this time? I hope you can tell me the age etc.
Minister:
Of the 41 people this time, 21 have Japanese nationality. Then all are passengers, this time with 41 people, but all are passengers.
Reporter:
Age etc.
Minister:
There is one person by age, but I will summarize it, but three people in their 20s and 40s, three people in their 50s, eight people in their 60s, 21 people in their 70s, and 80s There are six people, for a total of 41 people.
Reporter:
Are there any severely ill people in this?
Minister:
As for 41 people, it is just going to be transported and have a final diagnosis right now, so I can not say anything definitive at this stage, but at that stage it was severe, for example, a stretcher I have not heard that there is no such thing or it can not be carried without the assistance of such special equipment.
Reporter:
Regarding the cruise ship, about the prompt additional inspection of the elderly and those with basic diseases that I mentioned earlier, if it is to be carried out, how large will it be? If you can respond to the situation, please give a viewpoint in that area.
Minister:
It is true that we cannot discuss the scale itself, because we are currently in consultation with an expert on how much is needed, taking into account the situation in which such inspections can be handled.
Reporter:
If you have a charter aircraft, do you have any poor physical condition?
Minister:
I'm sorry, but I haven't confirmed it yet, so I'd like to report it once it has been confirmed. After that, I will explain it from the office, so sorry.
https://www.mhlw.go.jp/stf/kaiken/daijin/0000194708_00200.html

Great Rense interview, Dr. Niman. One other factor which I think needs to be considered, with regard to the Diamond Princess and as a general principle, is that whether a person gets sick after becoming infected is not only dependent on the quantity of virus they absorbed and the general health of their immune system, but the amount of stress they are under after becoming infected, which affects the strength of their immune system. So not only are the people on the ship in a virus-laden environment where they can get easily infected, but being quarantined in small rooms and being worried about the possibility of infection there might cause some of them to succumb to sickness more readily than if they were infected and then quarantined in a less stressful environment. And then if they get sick they will tend to shed more virus than if they remained asymptomatic. Please comment if you don't think these are reasonable assumptions.

Jon, your assumptions seem reasonable but keep in mind that the immune system can be a double-edged sword.

The Influenza epidemic of 1918 actually caused greater deaths in the population with strong/intact immune systems.  In that epidemic the very young and the very old were spared, while the population whose ages, with what one might say would have an “excellent” immune system, died.  I tend to look at that epidemic (unrelated to the current coronavirus epidemic) as a virus that caused death by immune-system over-reaction.  To create an analogy, it was like someone saw a bunch of mice in a kitchen, not knowing that mice are not particularly dangerous, freaked out, and started lobbing grenades.  Indeed, the mice were destroyed but the collateral damage destroys the kitchen.  In 1918 the group with less competent immune systems survived much better.  

So, looking at the immune system’s strength is not always so clear-cut.

A great example to think about is the proverbial child with a peanut allergy who gets exposed to a few milligrams of peanut protein—and promptly dies.  It was not the peanut that did the damage, it was his over-reactive immune system.

Stress is clearly a general factor in illness susceptibility and survival, though hard to quantify.  An ill person may or may not shed more virus, considering the above historical incident.

Every virus is different and most virus mutate and not always in a direction towards lethality, but also in a direction away from lethality.  Let’s hope this one eventually moves away from lethality.

• Like 1

Thanks, Stephen, for your learned response. I'm now wondering if a product like this might be good for people to start taking:

https://www.lifeextension.com/vitamins-supplements/item01804/cytokine-suppress-with-egcg

Also, do you know if secondary bacterial infections are playing a large part in the disease? If so, perhaps people should get a pneumovax vaccine.

5 hours ago, Jon Schultz said:

Thanks, Stephen, for your learned response. I'm now wondering if a product like this might be good for people to start taking:

https://www.lifeextension.com/vitamins-supplements/item01804/cytokine-suppress-with-egcg

Also, do you know if secondary bacterial infections are playing a large part in the disease? If so, perhaps people should get a pneumovax vaccine.

Durk Pearson and Sandy Shaw's writing is fun to read and hard to sort out from an evidence based point of view (in my view)

“Cytokine Suppress® with EGCG helps support the body’s inflammatory response with the clinically researched extract of mung bean and EGCG from green tea.”

Inflammation is a double-edged sword.  The body perceives a threat, sends an alarm and militia respond destroying the threat.  Over-reaction to a perceived threat appears to have been a big factor in the Influenza epidemic of 1918.  Whether this is the case with the novel coronavirus, I don’t know.  In a way I doubt it.  Why?  Because it’s taking too long for people to die.

Severe overreaction can be called a cytokine storm which I suspect you know already.  In such cases vitexin and isovitexin (in Sandy and Durk’s Cytokine Suppress) might help.  But if an over-reaction is not occurring it could, conceivably, work in reverse, slowing an inflammatory reaction that is killing the virus.  Who knows?

For that supplement you could research vitexin and isovitexin (try: shttps://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0367326X16304488

I suspect that over 2,000 years ago, Chinese herbalists were the best physicians in the world.  Not too long-ago there was a fair amount of research looking to ancient Chinese medicines.  The most remarkable outcome that I know of was the use of artemisinin (derived from Artemisia annua or Sweet Wormord).  Tu Youyou was awarded (co-recipient) 2015 Nobel Prize in medicine, which has been quite useful for treatment of malaria.

On the other hand, this novel coronavirus may have originated in Pangolins.  Pangolin scales are purported by some Chinese to have great medicinal value yet I do not think that you can find a wit of valid research that they do much of anything.

Humans by and large desire a cure.  I’ve noticed that such a cure should not be free, but should be reasonably priced (less than $100, but not free).  Though many swear by such cures usually there is no valid data other than the anecdotal, “well, it worked for me…”

So far there has been no announcement that I know of relating to a successful drug or combination of drugs for the novel coronavirus though I am quite sure that many Practitioners/researchers are trying. 

Try reading Inhibition of SARS CoronavirusInfection In Vitro with ClinicallyApproved Antiviral Drug (2004) to get a hint of the complexity.  Sixteen years have passed and I'm surprised that no concoction has shown at least some efficacy.

Never forget the placebo effect either.  See: https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/the-placebo-effect-amazing-and-real-201511028544

Bacterial infections may or may not be playing a big part but, if appropriate for you, a pneumovax may prevent a secondary bacterial infection should one become ill.   Hospitals, as necessary as they are, are dangerous places.  Ask your Practitioner if one would be advisable for you.  I think the series are two shots, perhaps at 0 and six months but I'm not sure.

• Like 1

Thanks, Stephen, for the comprehensive response. The only thing I'll add is that Gilead's remdesivir seemed to work miraculously with the first U.S. patient in Washington and China is now starting trials. They are also looking at chloroquine, which is used to treat malaria.

https://www.aljazeera.com/ajimpact/china-patent-experimental-anti-coronavirus-drug-200205054208307.html

I'm wondering about BHT, which is relatively cheap and available:

http://www.projectwellbeing.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/BHTbook-StevenWmFowkes-100903.pdf