EVALI Higher In Huffers?

niman

Recent question at Quora about cause of lung pain linked to vaping.  Answer included description of vaping methods - mouth to lung was more like smoking cigarettes, while huffing sucked vape directly to lungs.

Edited by niman

Andria Duncan
Andria Duncan, Smoked 39yrs, Ex-Smoker for 5yrs, Vaping Advocate

Nicotine has nothing to do with it.

It’s probably the style of your vaping, and the high-VG of your eliquid. When you hit your vape, do you do it as you would with a cigarette — first into your mouth, then into your lungs? Or do you simply “huff” it deeply into your lungs right off the bat, so that you can then exhale some humongous cloud that looks more like whipped cream than vapor?

The first style is called “mouth to lung”, and is the most like smoking. The second style is called “direct to lung,” and bears no resemblance to smoking a cigarette, but is a great deal like smoking pot, or huffing chemicals out of a paper bag. For some inexplicable reason, this has become the leading fad in vaping, and also those ridiculous clouds, which are NOTHING like exhaled cigarette smoke. Those ridiculous clouds are because of high-VG in the mix, at least 50% VG.

Although sensitivity to PG’s drying, irritating effects is far more common, it is not at all uncommon for some people to be unable to “huff” that much VG; it’s very thick stuff, and when it condenses onto the surfaces of your airways, it reduces the available air space, and can even cause pain, though a sensation of thickness, heaviness, or shortness of breath is more common. For me, if I vape more than 14% VG, I feel like I have a hairball in my chest that I can’t cough up no matter how hard I try — so I vape 86% PG, 14% VG.

If you vape eliquid which is at least 70% PG, and don’t huff it straight into your lungs, your lungs will probably stop bothering you. It’s possible you might need to go even more into the archaic, original style of vaping as I’ve always had to do, with an even higher percentage of PG, but if so, then you’ll have to make your own eliquid; as far as I know, 70/30 is the highest level of PG available in commercial ejuice (70% PG, 30% VG).

And just so you know… it’s not necessary to inhale into your lungs at all, as vaporized nicotine is in liquid droplets, not the microscopic solids of cigarette smoke that absorb best in the deep alveoli; liquid-droplet, vaporized nicotine absorbs best in the mucosa of the mouth, throat, nose, and sinuses. It’s a hard habit to break when you’ve been a smoker for a while, but inhaling into your lungs is the LEAST effective means of absorbing vaporized nicotine.