Vape Pen Vivisection

niman

Picture

Picture

Picture

Y'all have been very patient with my painstaking approach (particularly my partner, Cindy); I am being appropriately careful about some of the conclusions drawn.

Here's a preview of Vape Pen Vivisection: Power Supply Connectors

A picture is worth a thousand words. These will be posted in higher resolution in the final version.

The top photo compares an auto vape pen to a non-auto vape pen (("external on/off switch"). 

The second photo is the external view of a #510 female thread connector (battery case removed) that connects to the male thread vape cartridge.

The third photo shows what is not typical visible: the internal view of six (6) vape pen power modules, and specifically the solder points connecting the battery and control circuit to the underside of the #510 femaled-thread connector (which connects to #510 male-thread cartridges to power heating coil).

The Liquid
A visible air channel in the center flange is how e-liquid enters the battery compartment. 
The underside of one of the #510s even has obvious verdigris (green scale from oxidized copper), probably from exposure of internal coper wiring to liquid condensing in the compartment. 

The Metal
The most significant take-home message is that there is a risk of short circuit between the large proximal globules of solder connecting the circuitry to the #510. In some cases (the far left example), the risk is minimal, but not in those with red circles. The solder points there are quite large and separated by no more than a millimeter or two. These solder points can be bridged by liquid entering the compartment and short circuit. Short circuits generate considerable heat and lead to solder fume production directly in the inhalation path of the vape pen user.

As an aside, I got to experience the phenomenon first hand when disassembling one of the pens. A short circuit caused a nasty little fire and plume of greyish-white smoke. I made a very undignified shriek and smothered the fire in a bucket of sand. I was working in the fume hood (no danger of exposure), but it was quite startling. 

Cautionary note: Curiosity killed the cat, and more than a few scientists. Please don't play this way without safety precautions and appropriate PPE.