Accession ID: EPI_ISL_406596
Type: betacoronavirus
Passage details/history: Original
Sample information
Collection date: 2020-01-23
Host: Human
Additional location information:  

Edited by niman

• niman changed the title to nCoV Sequences From Paris France At GISAID 32M Matches 31F

Did you see the WHO press conference today? Dr. Michael Ryan completely avoided the question about whether the latest sequences show any significant changes by talking instead about how transparent and diligent China has been. It's at 14:50 in the video:  https://www.pscp.tv/w/1OdJrqEvgaeGX

The main thing he said which stood out in my mind is, "We have a chance."

33 minutes ago, osgo said:

"...(2019-nCoV) that is rapidly evolving in many directions...."

So, based on your experience, do virii evolve to become more lethal or to survive longer? In other words, do you see a stronger threat in the future?

With sars the was a deletion of 29 nt in orf 8 which was associated with increased transmission and virulence.  At this date in 2003 (prior to the deletion) there were 300 SARS cases and 5 deaths (over a 3 month time frame).

56 minutes ago, CoffeeLover said:

With the rapid evolving in many directions, what is the likelihood of a second  recombination along with the orf-8?  And is there a quasi-predictable timeframe?

A sequence released today, SZTH-001,which has the 2nd and 3rd Shenzhen mutation, including orf8, but the upsteam mutation was over-written with a segment with 22 mutations.

On 1/29/2020 at 11:26 PM, niman said:

A sequence released today, SZTH-001,which has the 2nd and 3rd Shenzhen mutation, including orf8, but the upsteam mutation was over-written with a segment with 22 mutations.

Here is my ultimate question. Does these mutations have the possibility to effect current vaccine developments that are underway? 

15 minutes ago, realauren said:

Here is my ultimate question. Does these mutations have the possibility to effect current vaccine developments that are underway? 

Vaccine will target S (spike) gene. The cited mutations generally are not in S gene

1 minute ago, niman said:

Vaccine will target S (spike) gene. The cited mutations generally are not in S gene

Ok, I know vaccines are way above my understanding outside of general immunological benefits. I really need to read up on how they go about doing it. But thank you for the clarification. 

In layman's terms.  There is rate of communicability and and the effect of the virus - recover or not.  Is there something specific to watch for in the sequences or evolvement that would give definitive information that the virus has reached the tipping point, or does the lay observer just watch for the statistics to speak.  Thank you.