Syracuse New York Couple Quarantined At Lackland AFB

niman

It's one vacation Cheryl and Paul Molesky of Syracuse will never forget.

They set sail on the Diamond Princess ship in Japan for a 14-day cruise with two family members. But, their trip ended sooner than expected.

"We're quarantined on the Diamond Princess,” said Cheryl. “We're sitting in our stateroom because we can't leave. Luckily we have a balcony."

That was day one of the couple's YouTube diary, as they document their 14-day quarantine that ends February 19. Thousands of passengers are being tested for the coronavirus.

So far, more than 200 passengers and crew members have the virus.

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/central-ny/news/2020/02/14/syracuse-couple-quarantined-on-cruise-ship-for-coronavirus

Edited by niman

HEALTH

Syracuse Couple Quar­an­tined on Cruise Ship As Coro­n­avirus Spreads

BY BRIANA SMITH SYRACUSE
PUBLISHED 8:30 PM ET FEB. 13, 2020

It's one vacation Cheryl and Paul Molesky of Syracuse will never forget.

They set sail on the Diamond Princess ship in Japan for a 14-day cruise with two family members. But, their trip ended sooner than expected.

"We're quarantined on the Diamond Princess,” said Cheryl. “We're sitting in our stateroom because we can't leave. Luckily we have a balcony."

That was day one of the couple's YouTube diary, as they document their 14-day quarantine that ends February 19. Thousands of passengers are being tested for the coronavirus.

So far, more than 200 passengers and crew members have the virus.

"It's scary knowing that anytime there could be a knock on the door and they could whisk you out of the room,” said Cheryl.

The Moleskys were tested Thursday and are waiting for results, but they're feeling healthy and safe.

"We're comfortable here,” said Cheryl. “Everybody back home keeps trying to rescue, but we're like if you're happy and warm don't open your mouth. But, we'll eat our words if we get sick."

As of Friday, some passengers are allowed off the ship to be quarantined, but the Moleskys want to stay on board.

"If we could be taken off the ship, what does that mean,” said Paul. “I have no idea. I think it's more of the unknown is what we're worried about, and we still don't know how we're going to get home."

They hope their questions are answered soon. Despite the chaos, they're staying positive and even say, they'd do it all over again.

"There's no one I'd rather be stuck with 14 days than with my husband,” said Cheryl.

The Moleskys say they if their tests are positive, they should know within the next two days. But, if they’re negative, then it will take longer. So, no news is good news.

Once the quarantine is over, they hope they can finish their trip in Japan.

To stay updated on their journey, go to their YouTube page.

Syracuse Couple Among Those on Quarantined Cruise SET Feb. 16, 2020 UPDATED 7:24 PM ET Feb. 16, 2020

BY HARRISON GRUBB SYRACUSE
PUBLISHED 5:17 PM ET FEB. 16, 2020 UPDATED 7:24 PM ET FEB. 16, 2020

Hundreds of Americans who have been quarantined on board the Diamond Princess are coming back to the United States, including Syracuse couple Paul and Cheryl Molesky.

The couple has been documenting their journey on YouTube, including a video that was published about their final morning aboard the quarantined cruise ship.

"For now, we're thinking we're going to be going back to the U.S. And it's a bitter sweet, mostly sweet, moment to think about,” said Cheryl Molesky.

There have been more than 350 confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus on board the ship, which has been docked in Yokohama, Japan since February 3.

Americans who aren’t infected with the virus are flying to the U.S. from Tokyo.

Once they return, they will be quarantined for an additional 14 days.

"On the one hand, we're going home, on the other hand, we won't see our family and our friends for two weeks because we'll be in quarantine again,” said Molesky.

The flights are bound for U.S. Air Force bases, one in Texas and the other in California.

It’s what passengers are hoping is the final leg in their long journey back home.

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/central-ny/health/2020/02/16/americans-aboard-quarantined-cruise-ship-returning-to-us

Hundreds of Americans who have been quarantined on board the Diamond Princess are coming back to the United States, including Syracuse couple Paul and Cheryl Molesky.

The couple has been documenting their journey on YouTube, including a video that was published about their final morning aboard the quarantined cruise ship.

"For now, we're thinking we're going to be going back to the U.S. And it's a bitter sweet, mostly sweet, moment to think about,” said Cheryl Molesky.

There have been more than 350 confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus on board the ship, which has been docked in Yokohama, Japan since February 3.

Americans who aren’t infected with the virus are flying to the U.S. from Tokyo.

Once they return, they will be quarantined for an additional 14 days.

"On the one hand, we're going home, on the other hand, we won't see our family and our friends for two weeks because we'll be in quarantine again,” said Molesky.

The flights are bound for U.S. Air Force bases, one in Texas and the other in California.

It’s what passengers are hoping is the final leg in their long journey back home.

Edited by niman

CNY Couple Quarantined at Lackland Air Force Base Amid Coronavirus Outbreak

BY BRIANA SMITH SYRACUSE
PUBLISHED 10:23 PM ET FEB. 18, 2020 UPDATED 10:45 PM ET FEB. 18, 2020

"We're on the plane and that's a good feeling," said Cheryl Molesky as she sat on the plane to head to Texas from Japan.

But what should have felt like a sigh of relief for Cheryl and Paul Molesky turned into distress.

"When we got on that plane, that was the most scariest thing has happened to us so far,” said Paul.

These 2 are incredible.

Cheryl & Paul Molesky have been sharing their harrowing journey of escaping the #coronavirus.

From Japan to Texas, they gave me an update on their stay at Lackland AFB where they are quarantined and waiting for their test results.

Watch on @SPECNewsCNY.

View image on TwitterView image on TwitterView image on TwitterView image on Twitter

More than 300 Americans were transported from Japan to the U.S. to undergo another 14-day quarantine in hopes of avoiding the coronavirus.

But 14 of those passengers already had the virus.

"They were put in an area towards the back of the plane, but they were wrapped in plastic,” said Cheryl. “We had to walk past there to go to the bathroom; our food was in the back of the plane."

To make matters worse, the man sitting behind the Syracuse couple ended up getting a fever and had to be isolated.

"We just feel so vulnerable and so exposed now, so I think like we're starting over at day one,” said Cheryl.

Except now the Moleskys are at Lackland Air Force Base in Texas, trying their best to stay healthy.

The Moleskys say they have a similar protocol as they did on the ship. Food is delivered and they have to check their temperatures.

Now, they have two rooms, a hallway and they can even go outside.

But, they say staying in Japan may have been safer, especially after seeing three people being taken out by ambulance Tuesday.

“We may have been better off even traveling through Japan, who knows,” said Cheryl. “If we don't get sick, okay. It was an adventure."

It's a journey they're powering through, together.

"I think we're very grateful we have one another, one another's support,” said Paul.

“I'm thankful I'm with my husband because I would be a big puddle of mush on the floor if I didn't have him with me,” said Cheryl.

The Moleskys say they're still waiting for their test results.

More than 540 passengers who were on the Diamond Princess cruise ship have the virus.

The ship is now the site of the most infections outside of China.

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/central-ny/health/2020/02/16/americans-aboard-quarantined-cruise-ship-returning-to-us

By Briana Smith Syracuse
PUBLISHED 10:23 PM ET Feb. 18, 2020 UPDATED 10:45 PM ET Feb. 18, 2020

"We're on the plane and that's a good feeling," said Cheryl Molesky as she sat on the plane to head to Texas from Japan.

But what should have felt like a sigh of relief for Cheryl and Paul Molesky turned into distress.

"When we got on that plane, that was the most scariest thing has happened to us so far,” said Paul.

More than 300 Americans were transported from Japan to the U.S. to undergo another 14-day quarantine in hopes of avoiding the coronavirus.

But 14 of those passengers already had the virus.

"They were put in an area towards the back of the plane, but they were wrapped in plastic,” said Cheryl. “We had to walk past there to go to the bathroom; our food was in the back of the plane."

To make matters worse, the man sitting behind the Syracuse couple ended up getting a fever and had to be isolated.

"We just feel so vulnerable and so exposed now, so I think like we're starting over at day one,” said Cheryl.

Except now the Moleskys are at Lackland Air Force Base in Texas, trying their best to stay healthy.

The Moleskys say they have a similar protocol as they did on the ship. Food is delivered and they have to check their temperatures.

Now, they have two rooms, a hallway and they can even go outside.

But, they say staying in Japan may have been safer, especially after seeing three people being taken out by ambulance Tuesday.

“We may have been better off even traveling through Japan, who knows,” said Cheryl. “If we don't get sick, okay. It was an adventure."

It's a journey they're powering through, together.

"I think we're very grateful we have one another, one another's support,” said Paul.

“I'm thankful I'm with my husband because I would be a big puddle of mush on the floor if I didn't have him with me,” said Cheryl.

The Moleskys say they're still waiting for their test results.

More than 540 passengers who were on the Diamond Princess cruise ship have the virus.

The ship is now the site of the most infections outside of China.