Trump says he's taking hydroxychloroquine despite FDA warnings

President Trump said at a roundtable Monday that he's been taking the antimalarial drug hydroxychloroquine and a zinc supplement for "about a week and a half" as a preventative measure against the coronavirus.

https://www.axios.com/trump-hydroxychloroquine-e594e81b-c35a-47f8-878d-67f84ce421ea.html?stream=top&utm_source=alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=alerts_all

Loading video

President Trump said at a roundtable Monday that he's been taking the antimalarial drug hydroxychloroquine and a zinc supplement for "about a week and a half" as a preventative measure against the coronavirus.

Why it matters: The FDA issued a warning last month that the unproven drug should only be taken in hospitals because of the risk of heart complications. There's no substantiated evidence that taking hydroxychloroquine prevents COVID-19 infections.

The big picture: Rick Bright, the former head of a key government vaccine agency, testified last week that he believes he was ousted from his position because of his resistance to promoting hydroxychloroquine, which has long been touted by Trump and his allies in conservative media.

• Bright said that he supported the use of hydroxychloroquine under the supervision of a physician. But when HHS leadership issued a directive to make the drug more broadly available, Bright says he resisted: "I did not think it was the proper or safe way to evaluate that drug in the context of this outbreak."
  • Hydroxychloroquine is currently being studied as a potential preventative for health care workers with high risk of exposure to coronavirus patients.

What he's saying:

"I asked [the White House doctor], what do you think? He said if you'd like it. I said yeah, I'd like it. A lot of front-line workers are taking hydroxychloroquine. I don't take it because — hey, people said oh maybe he owns the company. No, I don't own the company. I want the people of this nation to feel good. I don't want them being sick. And there is a very good chance that this has an impact, especially early on. But you look at front-line workers. You look at doctors and nurses. A lot of them are taking it. As a preventative."

Good for him. He may be doing himself more harm than good but #HealthFreedom! I sure won't be forced to take a vaccine (unless they get nasty:):

Of course it would have been more responsible if he had cautioned people to consult with a healthcare provider they trust, not to take anything which isn't from a pharmacy and not to take more than the recommended dosage. I only hope doctors can legally prescribe so people won't take unsafe products.

Edited by niman
No propaganda links allowed

18 hours ago, Jon Schultz said:

Good for him. He may be doing himself more harm than good but #HealthFreedom! I sure won't be forced to take a vaccine (unless they get nasty:):

Of course it would have been more responsible if he had cautioned people to consult with a healthcare provider they trust, not to take anything which isn't from a pharmacy and not to take more than the recommended dosage. I only hope doctors can legally prescribe so people won't take unsafe products.

I removed the link.  No more propaganda links allowed.

4 hours ago, Jon Schultz said:

You don't think Robert F. Kennedy, Jr., is well-versed in science? He sure seems to be to me. I was hoping you would comment on his research and conclusions.

I read some of the comments during measles outbreaks in US.  Pure propaganda (including claims that the MMR vaccine didn't work)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm not sure which comments you're referring to, the article I had linked to seems to be raising important questions which I think at least merit a comprehensive response by someone. At the same time I'm seeing some articles written by Childrens Health Defense, an organization Kennedy supposedly heads, which seem to me to be somewhat paranoid. Perhaps he is associated with some people because "politics makes strange bedfellows," nevertheless I was very disappointed to see him in a recent Daystar TV program with neither social distancing nor masks in the audience or on the panel.

With regard to hydroxychloroquine, do you think there's any merit in this analysis by Paul Craig Roberts, a former Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for Economic Policy? Roberts is another enigmatic figure to me, with some things he says seeming brilliant and others off the wall.

https://www.paulcraigroberts.org/2020/05/28/the-campaign-against-hcq-part-ii/

Thank you for your Rense interviews. It's a shame you're not being aired in the mass media.